Sunday, October 14, 2012

H2Out Philly Fins Swim Meet

I set foot on Swarthmore College for the first time on 13-OCT-2012 for the H2Out Philly Fins Swim Meet. As I was looking for the pool, I came across a nice 400m indoors track and wished I had my track cleats with me!

The pool was a lot nicer than what I'm used to at practices. Water temperature was slightly cold, which was perfect for a meet. I warmed up for about 500 yards and even practiced a few starts.

The Controversial Relay
 I did not sign up for any relays. Relays in general stress me out, and I wanted to focus on my individual events. However, my friend Linda from Colonial 1776 told me on deck that she and her friend Joan were looking for 2 more people to form a relay team. They really wanted to do a relay, and Joan was 81 years old, so I couldn't say no. We found the 4th swimmer, Christopher, and the team was set. Once my Fins coach heard that I was forming a relay with another team, he was not pleased. He told my partner to tell me that I couldn't swim the relay. I talked to the meet director and told him that we were ok being disqualified and we only wanted a fun swim. The meet director let us swim

Christopher swam the 50 back. Joan needed help to get on the starting block. Once she was on the block, she was in control, and she had better timing and better dive than me. Linda started from the pool, and had beautiful butterfly leg. I never saw Linda swim before so I waited for her to touch before I dived off the block. By the time Linda came in, other relay teams had  already completed their 200. I felt relaxed knowing that our team had already come in last. My dive was good for me as I didn't hurt my chest and my googles stay put. My streamline was good. My strokes were fast. My open turn was without any issues. I had one of the best 50 free that I ever swam. Our team stayed in the water for a photo shoot under the officials kicked us out! Linda named our team "Team World Record".

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The Individual Events

I signed up for the 100 breast and the 500 free events. My favorite 200 breast was not offered.

Breaststrokes come naturally to me. It's almost as fast as my freestyle stroke. The 100 SCY breast would be an all-out sprint for me. My dive was not a disaster. My pullout was good. My push/pull rhythm was in synch. Everything was clicking. It was also nice that a teammate whom I knew was slightly faster than me, was swimming next to my lane. Looking over helped with my pacing. My time of 1:32:15 was a personal best.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

My hands looked to be too wide here.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


The 500 SCY freestyle was a new event for me. I recently got into long distance free. Completed many in practices but never at a meet. I wanted even pacing, and broke the 500 down to 200 pace, 200 pace, and 100 fast.

I'm not sure what my official time was, but I think it was around 8:30.



Update: My 500 SCY official time was 8:22.04, and here are the splits:
43.50  

46.85
50.79   
51.76   
52.32   
51.74   
55.38   
50.98  
52.16   
46.56



Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home