Sunday, September 30, 2012

Training for Philly Marathon 2012

I have ran the Philadelphia Marathon every year for the past 8 years. My best Philly marathon result was 3:28:42 in 2010, and worst result was 4:56:53 in my marathon debut (2004). Due to the timing of this race so far in the fall, it usually has not been my focus race.

This year, it's a different story. It is my focus running race. I am training not only to break my personal best (3:15:13 Steamtown Marathon 2011) but also to quality for Boston Marathon. I am aiming to run 3:09 to meet the current BQ standard for my age group. It will not be easy but I am willing to train hard.

I am scheduling my life around my training schedule. I have trained for marathons before but never with this kind of intensity. As the Philly marathon is 7 weeks away, this is what I've done this week:

Untitled

Monday: Hill repeats in the morning; weightlifting in the evening

Tuesday: 11 miles medium pace in the evening

Wednesday: Fins swim practice (4000 yards long distance freestyle / no pull bouy)

Thursday: 1-hour Spinning class followed by a 6-mile tempo run

Friday: rest

Saturday: 10 miles at race pace & 2 miles during warm-up / cool-down; Fins swim practice (3500 yards; mostly freestyle with pull bouy)

Sunday: 17 miles slow distance run

I am using a heart rate monitor to help with my pacing and training effort. It's a good tool to make sure I don't go out too fast or get lazy and slow down in a middle of a run.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home