Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Blues Cruise 50k

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

It was a fun run, and it was also a 50k trail run, Blues Cruise.

Course: Mostly narrow trails with many hills.
Race plan: Stay in Zone 2 heart rate. Steady and even pace. Run up small hills and walk big hills.
Condition: Ideal! 46F at start and went up to the low 50s. Partly cloudy and not humid at all.

How I did:
I started out slow, around 11 minute/mile pace even during flat sections. My heart rate was already too high and I wanted to stay in zone 2 (126 to 143 beats per minute for me). I listened to music from my earbuds for 70% of the race. I carried water in a Camelpak and hydrated well. I ate a honey waffle every hour, and took 2 salt tablets every hour as well.

Mid-way, my time was 2:55, which was already about 10 to 20 minutes slower than I had predicted. I was right at my target heart rate so I didn't need to adjust my pace. I started to pass many runners who had slowed down or taken long breaks at aid stations. I was able to hold my pace to the finish.

My time of 5:45 was slower than my Dirty German 50k last year, but it was about 30 minutes faster than my previous Blues Cruise 50k run a few years ago. Blues Cruise was definitely not a cruise. There were many more hills than I remembered! I felt humbled walking up hills with my hands holding my quads!

I felt exhausted for the rest of the day but I wasn't in pain. I ran 8 miles the next day at 8 minute pace!

Here is my run data:




Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug







This kid, Jason,asked me if I was in his age group. He's 23.


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug




Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

She and I ran together for about 5 miles
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home