Sunday, January 21, 2007

Death Brings Out A Dirty Family Secret

A son of my parents' best friends died last week while serving in the United States Air Force. My parents have been over to their friends' house daily to provide support and to help with the pending funeral. My parents suggested that I called the soldier's family to offer my condolence, and I promptly did.

I spoke to the soldier's mother. She recalled how the boy flunked out of college and she sent him to the military to learn disclipline and to have a nice future. She said last time she spoke to the boy, he talked about what he would do in four months once he'd leave the military.

I cried with the soldier's mother. I suggested that after the funeral, she should go with my parents to Philadelphia to see me. I'd take them to a fantastic Vietnamese restaurant near my apartment.

We were ready to hang up, and she told me to hurry up and find a wife.

I was stunned. Speechless.

WIFE?

She hung up.

WIFE?

So, my parents share with their friends about my career and my many interests, but they conveniently forget to mention to their best friends that their son is a homosexual.

I came out to my parents 12 years ago. They had a diffcult time at first but I thought that they have come around to embrace me for who I was. I didn't realize that my parents were practicing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"

My closet is wide open. I need to help my parents with theirs.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg Mills said...

Anh -- Well, that sucks. My oldest (half-)brother never had the chance to come out of the closet to our shared father, due to his generation and my dad's generation not being terribly emotionally open. (My dad was really old when I was born).

Listen, I posted an explanation of the mortgage thing. Sorry if it came across as bastard-like. That wasn't my intention.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Anh said...

Don't worry about the mortgage comment. I thought I was funny.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home