Sunday, October 14, 2007

I Remember Matthew Shepard


Nine years after her son Matthew Shepard's death, Judy Shepard is still a tireless crusader for hate crime legislations. I had a chance to hear her story last week, and had a small group lunch with her after her talk. I was quite familiar with Matthew's murder, but to hear it from the mother's perspective was overwhelming. I was in tears. I didn't say much to Judy during the group lunch. I didn't really know what to say. I just sat there admiring a woman whose work I hope will be worthwhile someday.

I think about Matthew Shepard during my long runs. I wonder if Matthew were alive, would he run marathons? Would he transform from a tiny little twink to a muscular gym bunny? I run because Matthew can't. I volunteer with many GLBT groups because Matthew can't. I am political because I can't bear to see another young gay life interrupted.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home