Friday, August 05, 2005

'Cicadas and Mariah Carey'

"We Belong Together" has become the most unavoidable song of the summer. It was the number one pop song during the Memorial Day weekend. It's still on top of the Billboard's Hot 100 chart. The New York Times pointed out that Mariah has bucked a recent trend of hip-hop songs built for the clubs dominating the summer airwaves.

"We Belong Together" is a simple, sad ballad with a hip-hop twist. Instead of featuring guest rappers, Mariah herself spits out rapid burst of words in just a few notes. I myself like the song, but don't love it. I prefer a straight-up ballad as "Never Too Far" is still Mariah's most played song on my iTunes.

So Mariah's back, and I'm glad. I'm also waiting for another diva meltdown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home