Thursday, September 08, 2005

Nickel and Dimed



As I am finishing Barbara Ehrenreich's "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America", I remember my own low-wage jobs:
  • Flipping burgers and salting fries at Burger King (first job; 18 months; starting at minimum wage of $3.80 an hour)
  • Driving a fork lift truck in a warehouse (relatively high wage; my dad got me this job)
  • Filing books, periodicals, and journals in a library (nice work-study job)
  • Boxing greeting cards at a print shop (bloody hands from deep papercuts)
  • Bagging pretzels at an assembly line (I only lasted one night shift)
  • Emptying trash and cleaning bathrooms in an office building from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (two months)

I went through all these jobs before I turned 20. These jobs, as horrible as they may seem, were the best jobs available to me at the time. I learned the value of my hard-earned money, and made the best out of each job. I respect those who are still (not) getting by, and am thankful for the opportunity that I have had.

1 Comments:

Blogger OnShakedown said...

Not really the response I'd expect one to have after reading that book.

My reaction was more like "WTF! This is eff'd! How eff'd up is this country that we can't have a living wage?"

But that's just me.

For the record. I'm browsing blogs and your title caught my attention, yet i'm neither gay nor interested in math. I think that's the sign of a good title!

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home