Sunday, July 22, 2007

Struggling Toward the Marine Corps Marathon


Self Portrait
Originally uploaded by reflexblue
I have been struggling as a long distance runner to match my personal record I set last year. While it's true that I ran faster this year in 5k, 10k, and 10 mile races, my marathon times have once again went over four hours. The most difficult fact for me to accept is that my pace fell apart the last six miles as various parts of my body gave in.

Thus, I'm trying out a new approach for my next marathon, the Marine Corps Marathon in October. I'm giving myself training program that focuses less on mileage and more on cross training. I still do the traditional build-up long runs. However, I plan to break my long runs into a number of consecutive 5k races and intend to hold or exceed my pace.

This is what I call the "Fusion My Ass Cross Training Program. This 3-month program will set me not just for the marathon but also a 150-mile bike ride as well as an open water ocean swim.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger David Wilton said...

Speaking of open water, I'm doing the Alcatraz Challenge on 8/5 that includes a 1.5 mile open water segment. I'm scared sh*tless. It isn't the preparation. It's the currents and irrational fear of sharks that are giving me second thoughts. I wouldn't feel bad backing out. We'll see the closer the race gets. Good luck on your training.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Anh said...

Escape for Alcatraz is not for me! I want to read a blow by blow race report.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home