Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Why I Won't Visit Vietnam

Every two years my parents go back to Vietnam. I'm interested in hearing their stories and share the news others. Undoubtedly, someone would ask me if or when I would return to visit my native land. This question is often met with an akward silence and a quick change of topic.
There are many good reasons why I should return:
- to see my grandmothers, aunts, uncles, and dozens of cousins
- to see my childhood friends and neighbors
- to see the country with a different perspective
- to see other parts of the country I hadn't been
- to enjoy inexpensive fine dining
- to shop & support the local economy

However, there are compelling reasons why I won't be booking a trip anytime soon:
- Personal reasons:
Homosexuality is a punishable crime. Homosexuals face blatant discriminations and are regularly victims of hate crimes.
I don't know how my relatives will act when they see me with Jacob.

- Political reasons
Vietnam, despite many attempts toward capitialism, is still a communist country. Its people are still politically oppressed. There is no such thing as freedom that I'm taking for granted in the US.

Logistics:
It's not like I can easily hop on an airplane and spend a few weeks in another country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home